Smart911 Rapid Expansion Continues with 50 Percent Growth in First Six Months of 2012
Public Safety Answering Points Across the U.S. Adopting Innovative Solution that Provides Additional Data on 9-1-1 Calls for Enhanced Protection of Citizens
Rave Mobile Safety, the trusted partner for campus and public safety, today announced that during the first half of 2012 its Smart911 system was adopted by 9-1-1 centers in five additional states, adding coverage for nearly five million more citizens, marking a growth of 50 percent. Smart911 allows citizens to create a free online Safety Profile, which is then automatically displayed to participating public safety answering points (PSAPs) when a 9-1-1 call is placed, enabling emergency responders to respond to the right location, with the right personnel and the right equipment.
A few of the many Smart911 highlights for the first six months of 2012 included:
- Arkansas became the first in the nation to announce a statewide launch of Smart911.
- Washington, D.C.’s Office of Unified Emergency Communications, working closely with the Children’s National Medical Center, brought Smart911 to the nation’s capital.
- Smart911 continued to expand in states where the service was previously installed, attesting to the value of the service. Coverage grew to eight counties in Florida and six regions in Georgia alone.
- Smart911 was named a recipient of the prestigious Edison Award for Personal Safety/Security in the Innovative Services category.
- Smart911 continued developing close relationships with leading advocacy groups, while kicking off its “Understanding the Citizens We Serve” webinar series for first responders, featuring autism training by Dennis Debbaudt of Autism Risk & Safety Management.
- Rave Mobile Safety hosted the Third Annual Smart911 Charter50 Summit in Boston, bringing together 9-1-1 operational and technical leaders to share best-practices and help in developing effective procedures for use of additional data in emergency communications.
- Company executives continued their active involvement in developing industry standards and educational outreach, including participating in the NG9-1-1 Institute Congressional Roundtable, presenting at the National Emergency Number Association’s 9-1-1 Goes to Washington Conference and NENA National, participating in the Federal Communications Commission’s Emergency Access Advisory Committee Demonstrations on Text-to-9-1-1 options, and helping formulate national standards by chairing NENA’s Additional Data Working Group.
- Most importantly, Smart911 continued to deliver life-saving data to first responders in dozens of states for the protection of millions of citizens.
“With Smart911, we are providing our 9-1-1 centers and emergency responders with the best possible tool to protect all of our citizens. Regardless of political affiliation, there is no greater priority than the well-being of those we serve,” said Senator Gilbert Baker of Arkansas in a June press release announcing plans to deploy Smart911 statewide. “Through new technology and at no cost to taxpayers, Arkansas is leading the way in public safety by helping front-line responders in each and every city and town to resolve emergencies more effectively and save lives.”
“For citizens with epilepsy, it is critical that response teams have the proper information on their condition and treatment,” stated Donna Stahlhut, CEO of the Epilepsy Foundation Texas. “The ability to include these details in their personal Safety Profile is a great benefit to these individuals because it gives both them and their families peace of mind that should an emergency occur, 9-1-1 and responders will have the information they need to treat them. We encourage our families and their care-givers to create their Safety Profile to ensure first responders act promptly and appropriately.”
Smart911 allows citizens to create Safety Profiles through a secure website (www.smart911.com). Details can include children’s photos, medical conditions, disabilities, home addresses of cellphone callers and other rescue-related data. Smart911 delivers this information automatically with a 9-1-1 call to a telecommunicator’s work station at participating PSAPs, enabling emergency responders to gain a comprehensive understanding of the scene before they arrive.
For example, Emergency Medical Services will know about medical conditions, allergies and disabilities, facilitating precise life-saving treatment. Fire crews will know not only how many residents are at a home, but locations of bedrooms, residents with special needs and even if there are pets on-premise. Police will have instant access to a child’s personal information and a photograph if a child goes missing.
Smart911 supports citizen demand for the ability to easily provide special needs data that supports precise emergency response during emergencies. Additionally, because it is a national system, once a Safety Profile has been created, data is delivered with a 9-1-1 call to the local PSAP in any area of the country if it is supported by Smart911.
“Smart911 harnesses advances in technology to greatly enhance a traditional 9-1-1 system that is based on forty-year-old infrastructure,” said Tom Axbey, CEO of Rave Mobile Safety. “Putting more information in the hands of emergency responders dramatically improves emergency outcomes and saves lives. While we are pleased with our rapid growth, this is a public/private partnership, and public safety officials and advocacy groups deserve credit for overwhelmingly supporting this effort and continually striving to ensure that those they serve receive the greatest possible protection.”
About Rave Mobile Safety
Rave Mobile Safety is the most trusted software partner for campus and public safety. Used by leading Institutes of Higher Education and State and Local Agencies, the award-winning portfolio of RaveAlert, RaveGuardian, Eyewitness, Smart911 and SmartPrepare enables millions to feel safe, secure and connected. Rave Mobile Safety is headquartered in Framingham, MA. For more information please visit www.ravemobilesafety.com
Tags: Smart911 Press Release